The Boys and Girls Club of Boston Lawyer Up and Hunker Down

The Boys and Girls Club of Boston people were extremely disingenuous (and downright deceitful) in their dealings with me. Keep in mind, as you read what follows, that all I asked from them, before we even got to the gate, was a meager weekly stipend for a period of two years that would allow me to pursue a recovery full-time, which was in full swing when I contacted them. Though I had suffered a lifetime of horrific pain, humiliation, and fear, all of which recurred day in and day out (twice causing me to seek alleviation through suicide, when I was only a teenager), though I had lost out on everything you, the reader, would consider normal and simple expectations in life (such as friends, girlfriends, college, starting a family, and pursuing a career), though I had spent two decades in talking therapy (all to no avail), I asked only that they help me achieve recovery. Instead, they set out to trick me, discredit me, and stonewall me, which they succeeded in doing, repeatedly. The only exception was Linda Whitlock, who succeeded Frances K. Moseley as president and CEO. I do believe Ms. Whitlock put her best and most genuine effort into an attempt to help me. But, according to CFO Terry Gagne, in a matter such as this, the CEO’s authority was severely limited by the four most senior members of the board of directors, who provided the funds. I believe she was also restricted by attorneys for the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, who provided the utmost adversarial recommendations. And each group had their own ideas about what to do. And, as the record will show, they could never agree on that. When the Palmer and Dodge attorneys advised them to settle in 2004, they refused, brought in new attorneys and hunkered down, ad infinitum.

I did not know it at the time, but when I contacted the Boys and Girls Club of Boston and told them what had happened to me in 1963, I now believe they were accustomed to a steady stream of similar reports from other individuals and that they had developed a common strategy: delay, deny, extract, and discredit. Delay any progress with the complaint, deny that anything ever happened, and extract as much information as possible from the complainant. Then use that information to defame the complainant. In my case, the subsequent defamation would become very far‑reaching and very, very destructive.

The two lawyers who handled my complaint were Judith A. Malone and Jeffrey F. Jones of Palmer and Dodge. Malone was a partner and Jones was the managing partner. Later, Jones became chairman of the board of the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, perhaps as recognition of his efforts to oppose me, but who knows. But Jeffrey Jones seemed to try to hide from me his involvement in the matter. Though I received many letters from Palmer and Dodge, Jones’ signature was never on a single one. But if a letter had to go out to a third party, as it did once in at least one instance to Daniel Conley, who was Suffolk County District Attorney, Jones’ signature was on it. And I have a copy of D. A. Conley’s reply to Jones. In addition, before Judith Malone terminated communications between us and went underground, I received a message from another victim, and I communicated the contents of that letter to Judith Malone in a pre-arranged telephone conversation with her at her office. In the conversation, I read verbatim the individual’s account of the numerous surgeries he underwent as a result of having been sodomized with a baseball bat when he was a small boy. As I read the letter, I heard a plaintive male voice literally moaning in the background. Ms. Malone tried to prevent me from asking about the moans by breaking the silence with quick, sudden bursts of questions. But I had heard the moans. And I believe the person in pain was Jeffrey F. Jones, who did not want to come forward — and never did, except when he thought his identity was protected.

The other person who I believe did not want to come forward, but who maintained a close proximity with ongoing events in this complaint, was R. Robert Popeo , who was then and is still now chairman of Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.. Mr. Popeo is also closely connected with the Boys and Girls Club of Boston. As to who he was representing in this matter, I will tell you what I believe at the end of this expose.

In my first letter to the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, I explained that I had spent a long, long, long time trying to recover from the devastation I suffered as a result of their negligence and subsequent willful, calculated cover‑up, that I had nearly succeeded, and that I needed only a weekly stipend for a period of two years to finish. When I met with their CFO, Terry Gagne, the man asked me straight out “how much.” That was his bottom line, and he came out with it very quickly. When I responded with the same request for a weekly stipend, Mr. Gagne was visibly relieved. However, he also advised me to hire an attorney, and he warned me that the four most senior members of the board of directors (in 1996) would make the final approval of any decisions regarding me. But that was not the worst of it because the resistance would become extremely entrenched, extremely unreasonable, and very far ranging.

The first and very emphatic “no” came from Frances K. Moseley, who was the president and CEO of the Boys and Girls Club of Boston at the time. She was the first to respond to the complaint I sent to the Boys and Girls Club of Boston on September 16, 1996. Mrs. Moseley had an extra-ordinary appreciation for money, which, apparently, made it extremely difficult for her to part with any. In fact, years later, when her father died and it came time to stop collecting his social security checks and his TIAA CREF pension, she could not do that. Consequently, she was convicted and sentenced for stealing nearly half a million dollars between 2003 and 2010. After learning this, I was not the least bit surprised that she opposed helping me.

Frances K. Moseley
Frances K. Moseley

Frances K. Moseley

After Ms. Moseley responded with her disdain and an apparent dare for me to prove my allegations, I gladly accepted her challenge, and I began doing research. I wrote her back three months later to tell her some of what I had found. That indicated to her that I was not going away, and she requested a meeting. That’s when I met with Terry Gagne and had the above-mentioned conversation.

Following the meeting, Mr. Gagne informed me that the Boys and Girls Club of Boston were demanding my medical records and would not proceed one step further without them.  The problem with that was that they were presenting an extremely adversarial stance, which was in line with their strategy to delay, deny, and extract. They did not present themselves as people willing to listen to reason. For instance, in response to their demand for my medical records, on January 28 1997, I asked Judith A. Malone specifically if she would provide any assurance that they intended to help me if I proved my allegations, and she outright refused to do that. They were extremely adversarial, right from the start. And any way around the obstacles they erected had to be advanced their way — or no way. That was very, very clear to me.

I then contacted the two psychiatrists who had tried to help me many years ago, and I asked them for some documentation of their efforts. Those two individuals, who were both medically trained physicians, were Carol Wool, who had become co‑Director of Primary Care Psychiatry at the Massachusetts General Hospital, and Bruno Schurz, who had become medical director of mental health at the Central Texas Veterans Health Care System.

After writing Dr. Wool, we met in her office at MGH. As always, she was very kind, very patient, and very helpful. Dr. Wool treated me for about ten years (twice weekly for some years), starting around 1976. She wrote me a letter, knowing that it was meant for the Boys and Girls Club of Boston, stating that, toward the end of her of treatment of me, I began to speak about some horrific event at the Charlestown Boys Club. She was deliberately vague, and I believe her ambiguity was meant to help me lengthen the Commonwealth’s statute of limitations, which was not necessary because I had no appreciable comprehension as a result of the disclosure of anything that may have happened years earlier at the Charlestown Boys Club. In fact, although I had complained to her specifically about suddenly having thoughts that I had been raped when I was a child at the Charlestown Boys Club, these thoughts were totally out of the blue. I had no idea why I was having them, and I had no idea if they were true. I understood nothing.

But Judith Malone pounced on Dr. Wool’s ambiguity and straightway dismissed the letter out of hand, stating “she really doesn’t know what happened.” Once again, I want to point out that the Boys and Girls Club of Boston was never looking for me to provide the proof that they demanded; they were looking for ways to refute my proof, to discredit me, and to wear me down. In the end, it seemed to me that nothing short of an eyewitness account would satisfy them. But I was wrong. When I did indeed deliver an eyewitness, they totally ignored him. They said absolutely nothing in response to the fully corroborative account that he provided.

I also contacted the second physician who tried to help me, Dr. Bruno Schurz, to ask for medical corroboration. Simply put, Bruno Schurz is not a reasonable person, and he refused to corroborate anything. This did not surprise me. When Dr. Wool was treating me years earlier (in the seventies), I asked her to call him and ask if there was any insight he could give her. Dr. Schurz told Dr. Wool, according to Dr. Wool, that he remembered me well as someone with a keen interest in Nietzschean scholarship, but that all of “his records had been destroyed in a fire.” I was not surprised by that either because when I had contacted him on two earlier occasions, he would not cooperate then either. This time, when I contacted him in 1996, I arranged a time with his secretary for a phone call. When I called, at the moment he picked up the phone, someone else picked up an extension, so I knew the call was being monitored. I thought that was weird and very dishonest. Dr. Schurz told me that all of his records had long ago been shredded, not accidentally burned in a fire. When I asked if he would just provide a letter stating that he had treated me for many years, he said he did not remember me at all, despite remembering me well on the occasion that Dr. Wool called him.

I then managed to get an attorney to help me. His name was Larry Hardoon. Mr. Hardoon never asked me to sign a lawyer-client agreement, which is very unusual, so I do not know how serious he was about ever helping me. Basically, he wrote some letters on my behalf, mostly to the Boys and Girls Club’s attorney, Judith A. Malone. In one of those letters, Mr. Hardoon asked the Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston if they would be willing to go into mediation, and they refused.

A year after they demanded my medical records, I relented and handed them over, desperate for their help. The records showed extensive treatment over many years for severe psychological trauma. The Boys and Girls Club of Boston responded by saying that the records “raised more questions than they answered.” With that, I threw in the towel and went public.

On June 11, 1999, I wrote a letter to numerous board members of both the local Boys and Girls Club of Boston and the national Boys and Girls Club of America. One of those individuals was Gary C. Wendt, who, at the time, was Chairman and CEO of General Electric Capital. And that will play very significantly into an event that occurred very recently, which is now twenty years on. As it turned out, GE was one of the many Fortune 500 companies that supports the Boys and Girls Club of America.

Apparently, that letter indicated to the Boys and Girls Club of Boston that I was going to proceed in a very proactive way, and they promptly contacted Larry Hardoon with a message stating that they were “willing to talk” with me. We agreed to a meeting, but the Boys and Girls Club needed time to bring their people together for that meeting. I asked Ms. Malone when I could expect her to get back to me, and she gave me a day of the following week. When that day came and went, I wrote to the Editor of the Boston Globe newspaper, Matt Storin, inviting him to visit a website that I would publish the next week for the purpose of voicing my grievance. Between the time of my invitation and his actual visit, there were a few days when Ms. Malone tried to avert the publication of the website by warning me that, once the story was out, they would fight me, as if that wasn’t what they had been doing for the previous three years I spent trying to persuade them to help me. As a last ditch effort, I asked Ms. Malone simply to provide me with some assurance that, if I proved my allegations, the Boys and Girls Club of Boston would indeed help me. True to form, she refused, and I published the website. Ms. Malone subsequently wrote me and informed me that all communication with me was being terminated. And the fight was on. Little did I know that the fight would persist for another twenty years, and it’s still not over.

Shortly before Christmas 2000, I tracked down Edmund Moussally, who was assistant to camp director Bob Dolan, and I had a series of telephone conversations with him. He was very apprehensive and would not even admit working at the Charlestown Boys Club. But eventually he did, and he started to open up with me. He remembered me, asking if I was tall and thin with a lot of freckles. (I was.) He also remembered the Jordan Gym and described the two half-moon windows in the office that were high up near the ceiling, saying that the strangely shaped windows let very little light into the room. But he denied knowing anything about the assault — until we met, face to face.

We met shortly before Christmas at the Food Court inside the Prudential Center shopping mall. Though I had no memory of him, we found each other immediately and sat down to talk. Finally, Mr. Moussally admitted that he knew what had happened. He plaintively stated that he had not been at the Boys Club the day it happened, as if to excuse himself. He said when he arrived the morning after, camp director Bob Dolan came up to him and started talking about the incident. When he realized Moussally did not know about it, he quickly shut up and would not discuss it further with him. That indicated to me that the Boys and Girls Club of Boston undertook a cover-up immediately.

Moussally admired Dolan for being able to keep the children in line, and he described him as a Marine type. Later, another camper contacted me and he described Dolan as abusive. He said one day when they visited some park, Dolan kept him at the back of the bus and ordered another boy to assault him when he tried to exit the bus after the other campers. The boy instead escaped through the emergency exit at the back of the bus and walked home alone all the way down Route 1, a fast‑moving multi‑lane highway. He said that the police were sent out to look for him. Mr. Dolan was not a good guy, but Moussally said he was. I have no memory of Dolan, which is very suspect.

Before my meeting with Moussally ended, he gave me the first name of one of the perpetrators. He said he could not remember the last name. I did not believe him that he could not remember.

I transcribed all my conversations with Moussally. And I was very hopeful that this new corroboration would convince the Boys Clubs’ attorneys to help me. So I decided to post the transcriptions on my website, and I informed them that I would “move” with this new evidence on the following Monday. Judith Malone and Jeffrey Jones called the police and convinced them that I was going to “move” on Monday with an AK47. On Super Bowl Sunday, in 2001, the police came out to my house, asking if any weapons were present. There were three Boston Police detectives, including Lt. Gary French, and one Woburn policeman. Lt. French said that the people at the Boys Club were very frightened of me. He said a “lot of people are scared of you,” to which I replied “you have no idea,” which took him aback and appeared to unnerve him. Lt. French also rightly pointed out, after reading my website, that it was attorney Malone who first used the word “move” as an indication to act upon something and not as a threat. The police left that day fully convinced that I never intended to harm anyone, referring to me as a victim, and seeming to admire my courage.

After the police left that afternoon, I went upstairs to check some things on my computer and found new threats of “death” and “murder” on my website. When I traced them, they went to an IP that was located on Mason Court, precisely four blocks from the Boys and Girls Club of Charlestown. So, really, who threatened who?

And what was the real reason Malone sent the police to my door? To intimidate me. That was the only reason. I was still in touch with Larry Hardoon at that time, and Judith Malone knew that protocol called for her to contact my attorney and not me directly. But that would have totally defeated her effort to intimidate me, so she did what she wanted, regardless of protocol and regardless of professional ethics. She totally fabricated a threat out of thin air, got the police to go along with it, no doubt using Jeffrey Jones’ clout as managing partner of Palmer and Dodge, and then totally bypassed my attorney to threaten me with arrest. And they would do it again a few years later, only the next time they would use the Massachusetts State Police.

The Boys and Girls Club of Boston then did something quite extraordinary. They took it upon themselves to act as my agent in order to peddle my writing, as if I needed their help, and they made my cooperation with their demands, which were totally unbeknownst to me, given their communications shutdown, a condition of any success I might achieve with my writing. In other words, the Boys and Girls Club of Boston proceeded to blackmail me. It was as if they were telling me that I was going to do exactly what they wanted and on their terms or my writing career would go nowhere. And that is precisely what has happened. My writing career has gone nowhere.

With their communication shutdown, they then began communicating with me via Google search keywords. Let me explain how that worked and how weird it was.

In the old days, before Google Search began using “https” in their URL, which provides a secure connection to Google search that cannot be intercepted by prying eyes (except Google’s), if you searched the Internet for something via Google and then clicked on a link in the Google search results, the owner of the website that you clicked to visit could look at his access logs to see who was visiting his website (specifically, he could see the visitor’s IP address) and he could also see the Google search keywords the visitor used to find your website. Google sent that information along to the webmaster. They don’t anymore, but they did back then, every time.

The Boys and Girls Club of Boston used that technology to send me messages, which I found quite disturbing, as if I was some kind of whore with whom they wanted to talk but did not want to be seen talking to. Really, that’s how I felt.

For instance, the Boys and Girls Club of Boston conducted very extensive surveillance on me, which you can read about in the next chapter. As a result of their surveillance, which included following me on foot, they always knew where I worked. For a year, I worked the front desk at a Best Western motel. In addition to checking people in, I also answered the phone, sometimes fifty times in one night. One night, I got a call from someone who seemed noticeably timid. I never took a call from someone who was scared to talk to me, just that one time, and I knew immediately that the person on the other end knew me. So I thought to myself, “Have I ever heard this voice before?” This entire thought process took less than two seconds. It was Judith Malone. I had spoken with her once before, and that was the voice I identified. She confirmed my identification when she pretended to book a room. I told her I needed a credit card, and she responded with obvious reluctance, asking instead if the room could be booked without a credit card, which indicated to me that the person speaking wanted to hide her identity. I said yes, but the room would not be held after a certain time on the day of the booking. She said okay and proceeded to give me her address on Main Street in Belmont MA. From my days driving professionally, I knew immediately that this was a phony call because I knew there was no Main Street in Belmont. So I was pretty certain that the person on the phone was Judith A. Malone. And the reason she was calling was to glean whatever she could about me during that conversation. Pretty strange, huh? But it gets stranger.

The next job I had was working for myself as a computer repair technician. One day I got a call from a residence in Belmont. I went out to the house and installed a wireless router. During the service call, I got a strange feeling that I was being watched, partly because the house was so quiet. I may have sensed something else that I cannot articulate, but I remember wondering if someone was watching me. Also, during the installation, I noticed something that told me the guy worked for a particular company that I had seen visiting my website numerous times. Those two things got me thinking. When I got home, I looked up Judith Malone’s address in Belmont. And I discovered she lived only one street over from the house I had just visited. Judith Malone had spied on me during that visit. She was in the next room peeping through a hole at me. And if that isn’t creepy enough, there’s actually more.

After the phony telephone call at the hotel, I got to thinking that maybe she was trying to reach out to me but didn’t know how to do it. So I decided to give her a call at her office to reiterate my simple request for their help with my recovery, despite the passage of so many years and despite my going public with my grievance. I got her number right off the Palmer and Dodge website and called. She answered, “Judith Malone,” and I told her I was James Chester. She literally swallowed her heart at that moment, told me that I had dialed a wrong number, and identified herself as a secretary named Judith Malone at the law firm Mintz Levin. I was totally flummoxed and ended the call.

The next day, someone at searched Google for “James Chester call back.” Again, that was Judith Malone.

That’s how the Boys and Girls Club of Boston communicated with me after they terminated all communication. And the not‑so‑anonymous messages were endless.

By the way, when I called her back, she was ready for the call and took it. We spoke for maybe ten minutes. I reiterated my request for help with my recovery, to which she stated “I will pass this message on to my client.” I also disclosed the name of one of my assailants, to which Ms. Malone asked, in essence, say it again slowly, as I write it down, which she did, asking me to correct her spelling of the past name. Then, in her follow up letter a few days later, Ms. Malone deliberately withheld an answer to my request for her clients’ help and instead declared her extreme frustration with my reluctance to name my assailants, stating “how do you expect us to help you if you will not give us names?” Unfortunately for her, Ms. Malone reported our telephone conversation to someone, and that person googled the name of one of the accused that I gave to her, thus corroborating the fact that I had told her that name and that she lied about it afterward. I believe the person she spoke with was William W. Bain, Jr.

Judith Malone was consistently and routinely untruthful with me, from the moment we stepped out of the gate right up to the finish line. I spent a whole year struggling with her unconditional demand for my medical records, which she then dismissed out of hand and, later, true to form, used to defame me. Then, when I asked her to return the records, she sent me a poorly duplicated, poorly assembled, and obvious copy with a letter stating that “they” did not want to cause any contention over the matter of my medical records and were therefore returning them. Judith A. Malone lied right to my face, smiling as she did so.

In summary, Judith A. Malone was a lying liar, who lied her way through this entire ordeal. Her first strategy was the well-founded and long-practiced “deny, delay, extract, and defame” plan. In between, she sought out and surreptitiously arranged clandestine meetings in which I was a totally unaware, totally unwilling participant. And when anything more was required, she simply lied, right to my face, as she smiled at me. These were not good people. And Judith A. Malone was not a good person, to say nothing of Jeffrey F. Jones, who was a coward, which was surprising for someone who was the managing partner of a large Boston law firm, Palmer and Dodge.

Lastly, regarding the Boston Globe, when I wrote Editor Matt Storin, I faxed a copy of the letter to Judith Malone, so the lawyers knew what I had done when I did it, which turned out to be a stupid move. Mr. Storin was very interested in my story and immediately dispatched a reporter, Cindy Rodriguez, to my residence. I wasn’t at home, so she left a note, which I still have, asking me to contact her immediately. I believe Jeffrey Jones then called Matt Storin and said something like the guy has no proof and any story you write would severely damage my client’s reputation. And the reason I think that is because, when I finally reached out to Cindy Rodriguez, she would not return my calls. Eventually, she left me a voicemail stating that the Globe would not investigate until I had more evidence. By the way, in return for saving the Boys Club’s reputation, Jeffrey Jones gave a personal interview to a Boston Globe reporter about the Palmer and Dodge law firm, something which the staid firm had never before done.

Several months later, when I obtained corroboration from the assistant camp director, Edmund Moussally, Mr. Storin had another reporter contact me. This time it was Jamal Watson, who called Mr. Moussally and asked “could this have happened?” to which Mr. Moussally replied “yes.” Mr. Watson told me that was sufficient cause to continue his investigation, but, in a letter Mr. Watson subsequently sent to me, he stated that Mr. Storin forbid him from investigating. In Mr. Watson’s own words, Mr. Storin “killed” the story.

I did not give up on the Boston Globe, however. When Mr. Storin left for a position at Notre Dame, Martin Baron came in from the Miami Herald as the new Editor-in-Chief, and I contacted him. It is my opinion that Marty Baron did not want to report on this story either. I have proof that when I sent him letters, he immediately shared them with Jeffrey F. Jones. But when I reminded him that this was happening in his own backyard, he stepped up and did his due diligence. He got reporter Michael Rezendes involved.

Mr. Rezendes and I spoke once. I called him from a pay phone at the corner of Grant and Broadway in Somerville. I remember the conversation very well.

Mr. Rezendes agreed to review my case file at Larry Hardoon’s office. Rezendes later told me that when he arrived at Hardoon’s office, he was asked to agree to certain conditions, which he refused to do. Larry Hardoon gave a completely different account of Mr. Rezendes’ visit, telling me that he was not there at the office when Mr. Rezendes arrived, which prevented Mr. Rezendes’ review. I did not believe Larry, and I knew then and there that Larry was working against me. That’s when I gave up on the Boston Globe, after numerous failed attempts to involve them.

The last time I spoke with Larry, I left a message asking for a return call. And I never heard from him again. He never said goodbye, never anything like “there’s nothing more I can do” or any kind of farewell message. He just stopped returning my calls.

Finally, I think it’s important to point out exactly who visited my website on the Monday that I published it, following my contact with Matt Storin the week earlier, in 1996. Someone at visited the website, and I believe it was attorney Jeffrey Jones because Judith A. Malone specifically stated that she would not be in the office that Monday, which was the deadline I had imposed. Second, someone at Forrester Research showed up. Thirdly, someone at MIT showed up. And lastly, someone at some law school at a university in southern Vermont showed up. I believe that last person was Helen B. Spaulding. Helen Spaulding was, in fact, the chairperson of the board of directors at the Boys Club of Boston in 1963. And I have confirmed that, at the time of the website visit, she was supporting a law school in Vermont. There is not a doubt in mind that she was the person visiting my website from a law school in Vermont on the first day it was published, before it was even in the Google database. Keep in mind that, when this crime happened, it was a major event in the history of the Charlestown Boys Club. Edward Darragh, who had been raping children at the Bunker Hill Boys Club for decades was suddenly kicked out, and it was only after he was kicked out that he was finally caught. Prior to his apprehension, his blatantly outrageously criminal behavior at the Bunker Hill Boys Cub went totally unchecked — for two decades. I would also like to point out that immediately after this incident, in 1964, the Charlestown Boys Club started using professional youth counselors from the newly‑renamed John F. Kennedy Community Center in Charlestown.

News of this crime traveled far and wide, quickly. And the chairperson of the board of directors certainly knew all about it. I cannot imagine otherwise. I believe that if the Boys Clubs’ attorneys at Palmer and Dodge needed confirmation from someone inside the Boys Club organization that I was telling the truth, one of the first people they would have asked was Helen B. Spaulding. I also believe that she was the first person who would be most concerned with my going public. Helen Spaulding did not want this story to come out, and I believe she hired lawyers to protect her, despite my having never contacted her. Specifically, I believe she hired Robert Popeo and his firm, Mintz Levin, who have kept a close watch on my website.

Lastly, regarding the Boston Globe, I would like to point out that the Globe has done numerous exposés on the sexual abuse of children at some of the most venerable New England institutions, including the Archdiocese of Boston and Philips Andover Academy and Philips Exeter Academy, to name just a few. From 1997 to 2006, when I was doing everything possible to get the Boston Globe on this story, Walter V. Robinson managed the Globe’s Spotlight Team, while he was sitting on the board of directors at the Boys and Girls Club of Boston. I think it’s fair to say that the Boston Globe had at least one dog in this fight, insofar as one it’s two co‑founders, Eban Jordan, purchased and donated the Jordan Gym to the Charlestown Boys Club. It was the Jordan Gym where all this happened in 1963.

Next: William W. Bain Jr. is a war criminal.